Thursday, June 6, 2013

Summer Goals

Summer vacation is in full swing these days. Although I am teaching summer school 2 days a week for half a day I still have lots of free time. I was hoping this summer was going to be full of working out and eating right, but with my lingering knee injury still getting in the way of most activity, this summer hasn't quite started the way I hoped.

I tore my ACL sometime between November and May. I had injured it originally in November but worked through it until I couldn't stand it anymore. I went to see Dr. Walcott at AOS and he confirmed that I had torn my ACL and surgery was probably the best option. Being the stubborn athlete I am I have continued to try to workout and run with it torn hoping if I ignored it long enough I would eventually just forget about it. Not going to happen. I wanted to postpone surgery so that I could workout all summer and concentrate on losing these last 20 pounds (yes, it's still 20) while I was out of school. Last weekend I went to the gym and ran for the first time in about 3 weeks and finished 3 miles in 30 minutes. I was stoked! But then reality hit later that afternoon with knee pain and swelling. For three days after that run I was unable to do anymore working out. Finally, I made an appointment and now I'm scheduled to have surgery Monday morning.

Surgery! The one thing I've been dreading since I first hurt myself months ago. But I know that after I have this surgery and go through the physical therapy I will be on the road to running again and being able to be active full time!

I not only postponed surgery because I love to workout and other obvious reasons but I'm terrified that without working out I may GAIN weight. I'm afraid old habits may creep back in and I may find myself heavier by the end of the summer. I will not let these negative thoughts and fear of failure stop me from doing what I know I can do. I can plan my meals and eat right! I can go to the gym and work out upper body and abs (hoping to get this 6 pack soon hahahaha)! I will overcome this injury and I will be back better than ever!

So here are my summer goals:

To Recover! I will not feel sorry for myself. I will do what the PT and Dr. tell me to do so that I can get back to activity as soon as possible.

To Plan! I will plan my meals and continue to follow the plan.

To Blog! I have been a terrible at keeping up with this blog. The end of the school year was overwhelmingly busy and didn't make time to keep my readers updated! I will blog once a week this summer so be ready!! :)

What are your summer goals and how are you going to reach them?
505dffbd2416387db841a444150106dd.jpg
Photo found on Pinterest






2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're back! My summer started out quite busy with traveling to a graduation out of state and then some other family obligations away from home. I decided that my return home would include a switch-up with my workouts too...as well as getting back to clean(er) eating. Being away from home realy jacked with my food. I'm going to continue my lunch hour workouts - but focusing on High-Intensity Interval Training rather than a low-intensity weight lifting class that I'm getting bored with. The new thing for me will be adding in a DVD workout (starting with Jillian's Ripped in 30) - but the kicker for that is doing it BEFORE WORK. I'm not a morning person. But I want to get my last 20 off too. I really just want to look good in (and out of) my clothes and I want to feel amazing. Good luck with your surgery and being intentional about your choices while you are recovering. You need your body to last a LONG time...let it recover!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the encouraging words and for reading! Good luck with your goals too... I grew to love working out before work and I've never been a morning person!! Maybe you will grow to love it too!

    ReplyDelete